Renude skincare expert Melody deep dives into the best products and ingredients for normal skin
The scientific name for normal or balanced skin type is eudermic.
Normal skin type is by far the rarest skin type and is characterised by smooth skin texture, small pores, not overly oily, not overly dry. Normal skin types can still experience the occasional bout of oiliness or dryness and even a breakout. Although a normal skin type can experience minor changes in normalcy these changes tend to be easier to resolve than in other skin types.
Normal skin types are still vulnerable when imbalances in the body's homeostasis or normal state of being occur. Your skin can be normal for the type of skin yet still react to stressors internally and externally creating changes in the skin. Below are some common reasons why you might experience changes in the skin.
• Hormonal Changes. Puberty, pregnancy, menopause, birth control, certain medication and stress all have an effect on our hormones. These changes cause a fluctuation of our bodies normal hormonal levels. When these fluctuations occur, you may experience temporary bouts of acne, oily or dry skin. These changes don’t typically last long and with the right skin care routine, you will regain your normal skin type.
• Using the Wrong Products. Normal skin is the most balanced skin type and can handle most skin care products. Although, normal skin is not immune to over-exfoliation and over-moisturisation. Too much of anything is never a good thing. When you expose your skin to the overuse of harsh exfoliants, even the most robust normal skin types can experience redness, dryness and overall barrier function breakdown. Similarly, when you use heavy, occlusive moisturisers and your skin does not need them, your skin may become congested and the increase in moisture may lead to an unwanted breakout. With normal skin your aim is to maintain that perfect balance of oils. Steer clear of over exfoliating and heavy moisturisers if your skin type does not require them.
• Too Much UV Exposure. Extended unprotected UV exposure will cause damage to your skin and challenge its normal status. UV rays can cause your skin to dry out and age prematurely. Your best defense is the daily use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF30 or higher. This amount of protection will keep your skin balanced, radiant and youthful.
Normal skin needs ingredients that keep the skin in its balanced state.
• Hyaluronic Acid works to hydrate the skin without leaving an oily feel, this ingredient brings water to the skin and keeps it hydrated.
• AHA’s e.g. Glycolic Acid helps to exfoliate the skin allowing better absorption of products. AHA’s are great for normal skin as they are not overly aggressive and will not disturb the skin's balance.
• Choose a Hydrating Cleanser. To keep skin balanced, use a gentle cleanser twice a day.
• Consistent exfoliation. Maintain your skin’s natural glow with an exfoliating product 1-2x per week.
• Sunscreen daily will protect skin from UV damage and keep it functioning optimally.
If you’re feeling unsure about how to build a skincare routine to suit your skin, we are here to help. Start your skin consultation today to get matched with a Renude skin expert who can help you to better understand your unique skin, and hand-select a skincare routine that really works for you.
Complete our quick quiz, then book a free video call or upload photos.
Your aesthetician will hand-select a personalised skincare routine for the evolving journey of your skin.
Get ongoing advice as your skin changes for just £20 every 3 months (which is deducted from your purchases).